DRAFT MUNICIPAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN
Clearwater County Council has reviewed the comments received during stage three “Public Consultation & Input” and has made changes to the document previously presented during that stage. A Draft Municipal Development Plan (MDP) for your review and comment is now available. Overall changes have been made to the existing 2010 MDP and we want to hear from you!
HOW CAN I BE INVOLVED?
County Staff will be hosting a series of Virtual Open Houses via Zoom. During the open houses, a brief presentation will be made regarding changes to the document and then participants are welcome to discuss with staff, ask questions, and provide their comments. After the open houses are completed there will be time to submit additional comments should you wish to provide written comments as well.
Select a date below to review more information on each open house and how you can participate. The open houses will start at the times indicated below with a brief presentation by staff and will follow with a question and answer session. The initial presentation will be the same in all 8 meetings. All of the meetings will be available a half hour prior to the start time in order to allow staff to register guests attending the meeting prior to the presentation. However, you are welcome to join the meetings at any time you are available.
Virtual Open Houses will be held on:
- Meeting #1 - Monday January 25, 2021 from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
- Meeting #2 - Wednesday January 27, 2021 from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- Meeting #3 - Wednesday January 27, 2021 from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
- Meeting #4 - Tuesday February 2, 2021 from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- Meeting #5 - Tuesday February 2, 2021 from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
- Meeting #6 - Wednesday February 3, 2021 from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Meeting #7 - Thursday February 4, 2021 from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- Meeting #8 - Thursday February 4, 2021 from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
Slides for MDP Virtual Open Houses
A copy of the presentation slides for the Virtual Open Houses is available for download.
After reviewing the draft document, you are invited to send us your comments and/or concerns via email, mail, drop off or by filling out the comment box below.
Comments can be:
- Emailed to MDPReview@clearwatercounty.ca
- Mailed to Box 550, Rocky Mountain House, AB, T4T 1A4
- Dropped off at 4340 – 47th Avenue, Rocky Mountain House, AB
- Submitted via the comment box below
Please provide your feedback by Friday February 12, 2021.
After all comments are compiled and reviewed by Council, and any changes are made as required by Council based on the feedback received during this public review, staff will make a presentation before Council requesting First Reading of the Draft Municipal Development Plan. Following that, a Public Hearing will be scheduled to allow the public to provide further comments on the plan. Following the Public Hearing, Council will decide whether to grant second and third reading of the Bylaw to adopt the new Municipal Development Plan.
A MESSAGE FROM REEVE CAMMIE LAIRD ABOUT THE MDP REVIEW
WHAT WAS DONE WITH COMMENTS COLLECTED DURING THE "PUBLIC CONSULTATION & INPUT" STAGE?
Clearwater County staff collected and compiled all the comments received during the “Public Consultation & Input” stage. Once compiled, the comments were provided to Council for review and discussion. Following that, changes were made to the document, which is what is being presented to you now. You can find a summary of the general themes and thoughts received during the public input here.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS FOR THE MDP REVIEW?
The MDP Review process is intended to assess the current policies and direction of the 2010 MDP to determine what is working as intended and what may need adjustment. This includes examining if the policies still fit the desired direction of the community.
The five broad stages in the review process are:
WHAT STAGE IS THE PROCESS AT?
The MDP Review is currently in the fifth stage of the process – "Public Review & Adoption." The public is being given an additional chance to provide their thoughts on the changes to the Municipal Development Plan right now and we want to hear from you! We ask that you submit your comments by February 12, 2021.
WHAT IS A MUNICIPAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN (MDP)?
The MDP is a collection of policies that act as an overall "blueprint” for future land use and physical changes in the County. It provides a long-term vision of the type of community that County residents and ratepayers desire. From there, policies on topics such as land use, protecting the natural environment, economic development, infrastructure, and community amenities and services provide direction on how to reach the vision.
The policies of the MDP are used by Council in assessing more detailed plans, such as area structure plans and outline plans, and Land Use Bylaw re-designations to allow development to proceed. They are used by residents to understand what types of land uses may be allowed in various parts of the County. The policies are also binding on decisions for subdivision applications.
WHY IS THE MDP IMPORTANT?
The MDP guides and directs future physical growth and development. It seeks to ensure that growth is orderly, economical and beneficial while balancing the environmental, social and economic needs and desires of the community. It is visionary, strategic and long-term in its outlook and application. The MDP reflects the kind of community residents wish to see in the future (25 to 30 years from now) and then identifies ways to achieve this future.
Topics covered in the MDP include:
- Preservation of significant environmental features and impacts on the environment;
- Protecting special places and providing recreation opportunities;
- Expectations relating to rural residential development;
- The role and future of hamlets;
- Economic development and the role of various economic sectors;
- Infrastructure such as roads, railways, airports, water and wastewater systems, storm water management, modern telecommunications;
- Services to the community such as health care, education, emergency response, and protective services; and
- Relations with other communities, regions and the Province with respect to land use planning matters.
WHO IS LEADING THE PROCESS?
Clearwater County Council is leading the process with assistance from Clearwater County's Planning & Development department staff and consulting firm, Parkland Community Planning Services.
MDP REVIEW: HOW TO PARTICIPATE
MDP REVIEW: RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT
MDP REVIEW: AGGREGATE AND RESOURCE EXTRACTION
SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS