Planning and Development staff are knowledgeable in matters including permits, zoning, property lines, future development plans for specific areas, access to properties and various bylaws regarding land usage. These services include the preparation and implementation of statutory plans and the review and processing of development related applications, proposed subdivision applications and applications to rezone land. The Planning and Development Department provides advice to County Council, the Subdivision Authority and the Municipal Planning Commission.
Development is guided by County statutory documents, the Land Use Bylaw, and policy. The Planning and Development Department documents, forms and applications are available for download at the bottom of the page.
The planning process in the Province of Alberta is governed by the Municipal Government Act and the associated Subdivision and Development Regulations. In 2014, the New Home Buyer Protection Act (NHBPA) came into effect as part of the Government of Alberta’s ongoing commitment to improving consumer protection, recourse options and builder accountability for new homes built in Alberta. Visit the Municipal Affairs website for more information on new home warranties.
For information on Private Sewage codes and regulations, or to file a complaint regarding Private Sewage practices, visit
Alberta Municipal Affairs Safety Services or call 1-866-421-6929.
For environmental concerns, complaints or emergencies, visit Alberta Environment Complaints/Emergencies or call 24 hour toll-free number 1-800-222-6514.
Our planning staff is knowledgeable with respect to municipal land use planning issues and can help you with any proposals you may have. Whether you wish to subdivide your property, build a new house, shop or other structure, or you wish to start a business in Clearwater County, they can advise you of whether such development conforms to planning legislation or what steps are required to present a proposal for consideration before the Municipal Planning Commission, the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board or Council.
For more information contact email@example.com or call 403-845-4444.
Forms & Applications
- Amendment to the Land Use Bylaw Application
- Development Permit Application
- Notice of Appeal - Subdivision and Development Appeal Board Form
- Subdivision Approval Application
- Preliminary Heritage Site Identification
- Business Directory Submission Form
- Development Permit Application
- Alberta Land Surveyors
- Area Structure Plan - Ferrier-Garth Document
- Area Structure Plan - Ferrier-Garth Map
- Area Structure Plan - Law Subdivision Document
- Area Structure Plan - Law Subdivision Map
- Building Code Accredited Agencies Listing
- Business Development Permit Supplemental Information
- Clearwater County Code
- Condor Growth Assessment Report
- Do I Need a Building Permit?
- Fee and Refund Structure - Planning and Development
- Hamlet Comparison Report
- How A Rural Address is Determined Diagram
- Intermunicipal Development Plan - Caroline/Clearwater
- Intermunicipal Development Plan - Rocky/Clearwater
- Intermunicipal Development Plan - Wetaskiwin/Clearwater
- Land Use Amendment Application
- Land Use Bylaw 714/01
- Leslieville Growth Assessment Report.
- Municipal Development Plan
- Private Sewage Treatment Systems Separation Distances
- Provincial Framework
- Road Setback Guidelines
- Subdivision Application
- Subdivision Guideline 1st Parcel Out
- Subdivision Guideline Fragmented Parcel
- Telecommunication Antenna System Siting Policy