The MDP Review process is intended to assess the current policies and direction of the 2010 MDP to determine what is working as intended and what may be in need of adjustment. This includes seeing if the policies still fit the desired direction of the community.
This page will be updated as the project progresses. Please check back from time to time to see:
- Updates on the project and where we are at in the process;
- Materials to review and comment on; and
- Notices about opportunities for your participation.
What is a Municipal Development Plan (MDP)?
The MDP is a collection of policies that act as an overall "blueprint” for future land use and physical changes in the county. It provides a long term vision of the type of community that county residents and ratepayers desire. From there, policies on topics such as land use, protecting the natural environment, economic development, infrastructure, and community amenities and services provide direction on how to reach the vision.
The policies of the MDP are used by Council in assessing more detailed plans, such as area structure plans and outline plans, and Land Use Bylaw re-designations to allow development to proceed. They are used by residents to understand what types of land uses may be allowed in various parts of the County. The policies are also binding on decisions for subdivision applications.
Why is the MDP important?
The MDP is an overall "blueprint” for making decisions about future development and land uses in Clearwater County.
The MDP guides and directs future physical growth and development. It seeks to ensure that growth is orderly, economical and beneficial while balancing the environmental, social and economic needs and desires of the community.
It is visionary, strategic and long-term in its outlook and application. The MDP reflects the kind of community residents wish to see in the future (25 to 30 years from now) and then identifies ways to achieve this future.
Topics covered in the MDP include:
- Preservation of significant environmental features and impacts on the environment;
- Protecting special places and providing recreation opportunities;
- Expectations relating to rural residential development;
- The role and future of hamlets;
- Economic development and the role of various economic sectors;
- Infrastructure such as roads, railways, airports, water and wastewater systems, storm water management, modern telecommunications;
- Services to the community such as health care, education, emergency response, and protective services; and
- Relations with other communities, regions and the Province with respect to land use planning matters.
Who is leading the Process?
Clearwater County Council is leading the process with assistance from Clearwater County's Planning & Development department staff and a consultant firm, Parkland Community Planning Services. As the steering committee for the process, Council will review materials and provide direction throughout the process. This includes seeking public input on issues that should be looked at and any proposed changes to the Municipal Development Plan.
What is the Process for the MDP Review?
The five broad stages in the review process are:
What stage is the process at?
The MDP Review is in the first stage of the process "Background and Initial Suggestions". This stage is expected to be completed by the end of March 2020.
How can I be involved?
There are several ways for you to participate in the Municipal Development Plan Review. The list of opportunities below will be updated as the project progresses. Please check back for updates.
Please take advantage of the following opportunities:
- Review materials on the County website and submit comments (you can email, call or visit);
- Attend future open house sessions expected to take place in June 2020 (details will be posted as we get closer to June);
INPUT OPPORTUNITY 1:
What topics or issues do you think should be addressed in the MDP Review?
INPUT OPPORTUNITY 2:
What is your vision for Clearwater County?
What do you think about the vision in the current Municipal Development Plan?
Materials to Review
As information is created it will be posted here for viewing.
More Information or Comments to Share?
For further information about the MDP Review or to share your thoughts/comments please contact:
Kim Gilham, Senior Planner, Clearwater County