Implementation of mandatory regional planning mechanisms for land-use planning, and require municipalities to work together regarding delivery of services and cost-sharing. All municipalities with common boundaries will require to adopt an Intermunicipal Collaboration Framework. This framework will highlight and formalize existing collaborative work across the province, and provide a forum for neighbouring municipalities to work more closely together to better manage growth, coordinator service delivery, and optimize resources for citizens.
- minimum requirements regarding intermunicipal land-use planning;
- minimum list of shared regional services;
- a dispute resolution process for when partnering municipalities cannot agree;
- timelines for completion;
- authority to exempt municipalities in certain cases; and
- other matters as required.
ICFs must be in place by April 1, 2020 (within two years of the legislative requirements coming into force).